Comic-Con 2016: ‘Luke Cage’ Teases ‘Wu Tang-ification’ of Marvel Universe
Marvel’s Netflix Luke Cage may not have led Netflix’s Defenders, but the hero-for-hire certainly broke new ground in taking the series to eager fans at Comic-Con 2016. We already caught the first trailer, but what major details did Harlem’s newest hero reveal from the assembled cast in San Diego? Our full panel report!
- There was plenty of new footage screened in the panel, including the overall sizzle reel, but among the most iconic clips, we saw someone taking a swing at Luke in a bar, and shattering their hand in slow-motion.
- Understandably, much of the applause went to the surprise Jon Bernthal appearance, itself following a Punisher tack-on to the sizzle reel. Moderator Jeph Loeb previewed that they’d soon get to work on the spinoff, but no exact confirmation as to whether Bernthal’s Frank Castle would take part in The Defenders.
- Among those in attendance of the panel, we had Frank Whaley (Rafael Scarfe), Simone Missick (Misty Knight), Mahershala Ali (Cottonmouth), Theo Rossi (Victor “Shades” Alvarez), Alfre Woodard (Mariah Dillard), Mike Colter, Joe Quesada and showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker.
- Rosario Dawson is also a part of the series, but remained in New York, filming a different Marvel project. Wonder what that could be …
- “The world is ready for a bulletproof black man,” showrunner Coker says of Luke Cage’s place in the modern superhero landscape. Coker also noted the series as the “Wu Tang-ification of the Marvel Universe,” given its extensive musical roster. Each episode is even named after a different Gang Starr song.
- Rossi described his “Shades” Alvarez as “the Littlefinger of Luke Cage,” describing the character’s duplicitous nature, and his relationship to Cottonmouth.
- We’ll meet Missick’s Misty Knight in her undercover “work clothes” (Missick noted the freezing temperatures), while she and Luke will have quite a rapport both in and out of the streets. Jessica Jones offered her tacit approval.
- One notable clip screened featured Ali’s Cottonmouth beating on someone in front of a Notorious B.I.G. portrait, a notable callback for Coker, who relayed being one of the last to interview the music icon before his demise, as well writing his personality into the Marvel villain.
- Don’t forget the Iron Fist footage, Daredevil renewal and Defenders teaser!
Netflix’s Luke Cage will feature among its supporting cast Sons of Anarchy vet Theo Rossi will play “Shades” Alvarez, alongside Mahershala Ali’s Cornell “Cottonmouth” Stokes, Alfre Woodard’s Mariah Dillard, Erik LaRay Harvey’s Diamondback, Frank Whaley’s Detective Rafael Scarfe and Simone Missick’s Misty Knight. Additionally, Rosario Dawson is confirmed to her reprise her role as Claire Temple for a more significant arc.