Five Gross Foods Other Cultures Love
While it’s fair to criticize the amount of unnatural, processed junk food that we eat, we should also take some credit for the stuff that we DON’T eat.
Other countries enjoy eating foods that might be more natural than cheese puffs and Oreo cookies, but are just plain disgusting.
Here’s a rundown of some gross foods that other cultures love:
- Durian – South East Asia – It’s a fruit the size of a football that smells ike dirty socks. It’s a rich, creamy, mouthful of sick.
- Lutefisk – Norway – This is dried, salted cod, soaked in lye for two days. In case you were wondering, lye will cause a chemical burn if it touches your skin. When it touches salted cod, it just makes the cod taste horrible.
- Escamoles – Mexico – It’s basically insect caviar — as escamoles are actually the larvae of large black ants.
- Stink Heads – Alaska – Yup. Some people in Alaska eat the heads of King salmon. Didn’t they get the memo about being from America, where we have cheese puffs and Oreos?
- Balut – Vietnam – How drunk would you have to be to eat a duck egg that had a half-formed duck fetus in there, complete with fledgling feathers and beak?
Is there any basic food that other people seem to love that you think is totally disgusting? How did you become such a hater?