Dave Grohl Reveals ‘Sound City’ Documentary Cast + Soundtrack Details
For the better part of the last year, Foo Fighters leader Dave Grohl has been building the buzz while compiling and editing footage for his ‘Sound City‘ documentary about the famous Los Angeles music studio and the Neve console where many of rock’s great albums have been made. Now fans can really get excited as the full cast for the film and details of what songs were recorded for the movie’s soundtrack have been revealed.
Audiences got their first taste of the ‘Sound City’ soundtrack Wednesday night (Dec. 12) when the surviving members of Nirvana joined Paul McCartney onstage at the 12-12-12 Hurricane Sandy benefit to perform ‘Cut Me Some Slack.’ The tune was just made available online and will serve as the lead single from the soundtrack. In addition to McCartney, Grohl teamed up with members of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Queens of the Stone Age, Rage Against the Machine, Foo Fighters, Kyuss and Cheap Trick, as well as singers Stevie Nicks, Rick Springfield, Trent Reznor, Lee Ving and Corey Taylor and violinist Jessy Greene to record songs for the soundtrack. You can currently pre-order the disc here ahead of its March 12 release date.
As for the film’s cast, it includes hard rock and metal performers such as Foo Fighters’ Taylor Hawkins, Chris Shiflett, Rami Jaffee, Pat Smear, and Nate Mendel, Nirvana’s Krist Novoselic, Slipknot and Stone Sour‘s Corey Taylor, Metallica‘s Lars Ulrich, Rage Against the Machine’s Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk, Nine Inch Nails‘ Trent Reznor, Queens of the Stone Age’s Joshua Homme and Alain Johannes, Ratt‘s Stephen Pearcy and Warren DeMartini, Heaven and Hell‘s Vinny Appice and Fear’s Lee Ving.
On the alternative side, the film features The Pixies‘ Frank Black, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club’s Robert Levon Been and Weezer‘s Rivers Cuomo, Brian Bell and Pat Wilson. There’s also classic rock representation from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ Tom Petty, Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench, Fleetwood Mac‘s Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood and Lindsey Buckingham, REO Speedwagon‘s Kevin Cronin, John Fogerty and Pat Benatar guitarist Neil Giraldo. Plus, there’s ’70s and ’80s pop stars like Rick Springfield and Barry Manilow involved.
The film features session musicians like violinist Jessy Greene and drummer Jim Keltner as well as producers and engineers Rick Rubin, Butch Vig, Joe Barresi, Chris Goss, James Brown, Keith Olsen, Jim Scott, Ross Robinson and Nick Raskulinecz.
In addition, console maker Rupert Neve, who is responsible for the board that most of the records were made on, appears in the movie, as do Sound City staffers Sandy Skeeter, Shivaun O’Brien, Paula Salvatore and Tom Skeeter.
The ‘Sound City’ film is due for digital release on Feb. 1.
‘Sound City’ Soundtrack Track Listing:
1. ‘Heaven and All’ – Dave Grohl with Black Rebel Motorcycle Club’s Robert Levon Been and Peter Hayes
2. ‘Time Slowing Down’ – Dave Grohl with Queens of the Stone Age’s Chris Goss and Rage Against the Machine’s Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk
3. ‘You Can’t Fix This’ – Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl, Rami Jaffee and Taylor Hawkins with Stevie Nicks
4. ‘The Man That Never Was’ – Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel and Pat Smear with Rick Springfield
5. ‘Your Wife Is Calling’ – Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins and Pat Smear with Queens of the Stone Age’s Alain Johannes and Fear’s Lee Ving
6. ‘From Can to Can’t’ – Dave Grohl with Slipknot and Stone Sour’s Corey Taylor, Cheap Trick’s Rick Nielsen and Kyuss’ Scott Reeder
7. ‘Centipede’ – Dave Grohl with Queens of the Stone Age’s Joshua Homme, Chris Goss and Alain Johannes
8. ‘A Trick With No Sleeve’ – Dave Grohl with Queens of the Stone Age’s Joshua Homme and Alain Johannes
9. ‘Cut Me Some Slack’ – Paul McCartney with Nirvana’s Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear
10. ‘Once Upon a Time … The End’ – Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl and Rami Jaffee with violinist Jessy Greene and drummer Jim Keltner
11. ‘Mantra’ – Dave Grohl with Queens of the Stone Age’s Joshua Homme and Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor